Titan Lead Testing is a family owned and operated business with an outstanding reputation.  Call us today to find out how we can help you.

Quality Service, Affordable Rates, Flexible Scheduling

Deleading and Renovations
Quality Service, Affordable Rates, Flexible Scheduling

What is the difference?

Deleading and renovation work are very different from each other.  The major difference between the two is in the intent of the work.  Deleading work is performed in order to remove lead hazards in a home which will gain a Letter of Full Deleading Compliance.  This letter protects the owners from strict liability under the Massachusetts Lead Law as well as makes the home safer for children and adults.  Deleading jobs are also eligible for up to $1500.00 in tax credit per unit deleaded.

Renovation work is done for the purpose of improving the quality of the home or repairing problems.  With new lead paint laws affecting renovation work, some of the jobs may seem to provide the same function as deleading, however it lies in the intent of the work.

I want to have my house deleaded, where do I start?

The first step to having a home deleaded is to have a Comprehensive Initial Inspection performed by a licensed lead inspector.  For more information about this click here.  Once you get the inspection report you will see a list of all of the components in the house, what levels of lead they contain, and if they are a hazard.  If no hazards are found, then the process ends here and you will receive an Initial Letter of Compliance.

If lead hazards are found, the next step is to hire a licensed deleader to perform the work on your house in order to remove the lead hazards found in the report.  They will use your inspection report to identify all of the different hazards and remove them through a number of different methods.  Different deleading companies may choose different methods for removing these hazards, so it is always good to get information from several contractors before choosing the right one for your needs.

Can I do the work myself?

Some work is able to be done by you or your agents.  Deleading is broken into three types: High-risk, Moderate-risk, and Low-risk.  High-risk deleading is only able to be done by a licensed deleader.  Moderate-risk deleading is able to be done by an owner or their agent who has taken a one-day (8-hour) training course and passes a short state exam. 

Moderate-risk owners/agents are allowed to:

  • Make small amounts of paint intact
  • Use special encapsulant paints
  • Cover surfaces
  • Remove components piece-by-piece (not by demolition)
  • Reverse some components

Instead of taking a one-day training course, owners and their agents may read an online information pamphlet and mail the attached and completed test into the state lead program.  A copy of the pamphlet is available at http://www.mass.gov/dph/clppp 

Low-risk owners/agents are allowed to:

  • Cover
  • Remove hinged components (i.e. doors)
  • Apply encapsulants (a different pamphlet is required for this)

What do I do after the Deleading Project?

Once you have a deleader perform the necessary work the next step is to have a lead inspector perform a reinspection.  Please refer to the Inspection Information section for more information about types of reinspections.  A reinspection will consist of the inspector checking all of the work and making sure all hazards were addressed as indicated on the original report.  If all work is found to be completed with adequate workmanship then dust wipes will be taken (the number of wipes and location will vary with the scope of the deleading work).  If these dust wipes pass the corresponding Compliance document will be issued.

I want to have my house renovated, where do I start?

If you will be having renovation work (including painting) performed on your home then you or your contractor may have to follow special work practice requirements to make sure the work is done lead-safe.  In order to know how to best handle the work and setup it is important to know which surfaces have lead paint and which do not.  If your work will disturb no lead paint or very little then the special work practices may not apply, which can save time and money.

Hiring a lead paint inspector is the safest and most accurate way of having your work area tested for lead paint before the work starts.  Inspectors are trained and use state of the art X-Ray Flouresence (XRF) Analyzers to test for lead paint which is both accurate and non-invasive (does not involve cutting into surfaces).  It is also the fastest testing method available, with results obtained in only a few seconds.  An entire room can be tested in a short amount of time.

What should I do after the Renovation Work is complete?

If a renovation disturbed lead paint and was considered to be an RRP Job, then the contractor doing the work will be required to clean the work area very well using a HEPA-vacuum and wet washing methods.  Once the area is cleaned, the contractor must check the work area for visual cleanliness with a process called Cleaning Verification. 

If you wish to have a more accurate assessment of the lead dust left behind after the work is complete, you may hire a lead inspector to perform a Clearance Examination, in which dust wipes will be taken and sent to a lab for analysis.  The results will indicate if the amount of lead dust left behind on the floors, window sills, and window wells in the work area is above the safe level.  A contractor too may choose to have you hire a lead inspector to do a Clearance Examination.  Not only is it an indication of how safe the lead levels are in your home, it may also reduce liabilities for the contractor.

Quality Service, Affordable Rates, Flexible Scheduling